If you’re considering making a big move and want to know the Canada immigration Hong Kong process, it’s possible with the right approach. Thanks to some special fast-track processes, Canada has several options for people who want to move, especially those from Hong Kong. The key is to find the right program that fits you, whether you’re coming in as a student, worker, or looking for a fresh start. Ensure you have all your important documents ready, like your passport and details about your job history. Once you’re set, you can apply online. It’s also a good idea to start getting to know Canada better, figuring out where you want to live and what job opportunities exist. This blog will help you plan and move to Canada step by step. 

Relocating Permanently From Hong Kong to Canada

Canada offers various schemes that allow individuals from other countries to reside, work, and permanently settle there. Specifically, people from Hong Kong may benefit from certain temporary measures put in place by the government, which could speed up their application process and allow them to relocate to Canada more quickly.

Below are some favoured methods for moving to Canada from Hong Kong:

Fast-Track Policy for Individuals Living in Canada

This special rule offers Hong Kong residents already in Canada the chance to apply for permanent residence under a unique policy to make it easier to immigrate to Canada. This opportunity is open until August 31, 2026, and there are two paths to apply. Whether you want to extend your stay or transition from temporary to permanent status, this policy provides a valuable pathway for those looking to move to Canada from Hong Kong.

Pathway for Graduates In Canada

To be eligible for the first path, you must meet the following criteria:

    • You need a valid Hong Kong or British National (Overseas) passport.
    • You should already have permission to be in Canada temporarily.
    • You must be in Canada when you apply and become a permanent resident.
    • You plan to live in Canada but not in Quebec.
    • Before you can apply for permanent residence, here’s what you need from the last three years:
    • You must have finished a program in Canada that lasted at least two years at a special school called a designated learning institution. This can be a diploma (but not for graduate or post-graduate studies), a degree, or a one-year program for a graduate or post-graduate diploma or certificate.
    • At least half of your studies must have been done in Canada, and it’s okay if some were online.
    • You must score at least a level 5 in listening, speaking, reading, and writing on a government-approved language test.

Pathway Two: Leveraging Canadian Work Experience

To be eligible for the second path, you must meet the following criteria:

    • You must have a valid passport from Hong Kong or the UK (if you’re a British National (Overseas) from Hong Kong).
    • You must be in Canada when you apply for permanent residence.
    • You should have a temporary permit to stay in Canada right now.
    • Plan to make your home in any part of Canada except Quebec.
    • Before applying, you must have worked in Canada full-time for at least 12 months or part-time for the same number of hours over the last three years.
    • You can’t count work hours when you are studying full-time, working for yourself, working outside Canada, taking a break from work (like for health or family reasons), away from Canada for a long time, or not working at all.
    • You must also score at least 5 on a government-accepted language test in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.

Quick Note – Starting August 15, 2023, if you’re applying because you’ve worked in Canada (that’s Stream B), you don’t need to have attended college or university to qualify anymore.

Other Canadian Gateways to Permanent Residency

Canadian Gateways to Permanent Residency

If you want to move to Canada permanently but don’t fit into any of the programs mentioned before, consider other options. These include –

    • Atlantic Immigration Program (AIP) 
    • Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)
    • Quebec-selected Skilled Workers
    • Caregivers 
    • Self-employed Folks
    • Agri-food Pilot

From Hong Kong to Canadian Classrooms: Your Study Permit Guide

Many people from Hong Kong are interested in studying in Canada as part of their plan to move to Canada. To do this, you need to be accepted by a designated learning institution (DLI), which is a Canadian school approved for international students. After securing acceptance, the next step in the Canada immigration Hong Kong process residents involves applying for a study permit. This is a key step for those looking to further their education in Canada while exploring the possibility of permanently living there.

This study permit lets you stay for as long as your course lasts, plus an extra 90 days. If you finish a certain course in Canada, you could get a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) to work after your studies. Many students from other countries use studying in Canada as a stepping stone to living there permanently and eventually becoming Canadian citizens.

If you use a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) or British National (Overseas) passport to apply for a study permit, your application will be moved to the front of the line and processed faster.

Moving From Hong Kong to Canada: The Work Permit Edition

Moving From Hong Kong to Canada: The Work Permit Edition

Your Guide to an Open Work Permit

An open work permit allows individuals from other countries to find jobs in any field or work for any suitable employer in Canada. If you recently graduated from Hong Kong, you can acquire an open work permit because of a special rule for Hong Kong residents that ends on February 7, 2025. With an open work permit, you can work in Canada for up to three years, which is a great way to get good job experience.

To acquire an open work permit with this special rule, you need to:

    • Have a passport from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China or be a British National (Overseas) from the UK.
    • Meet school requirements: You should have finished your studies at a Canadian or international school within the last 10 years and have a degree, diploma, or a one-year program for graduate or postgraduate studies.
    • Most people have to apply for this work permit online, whether they’re already in Canada or not. This rule does not allow you to just show up at the border and apply for it.

For both options, the main applicant can also add their spouses, partners, and kids who are with them in Canada to their application. Also, suppose family members of Canadian citizens, people recognised under the Indian Act, permanent residents, or those under protection who live in Hong Kong have applied for PR. In that case, the government will speed up the processing of their applications whenever possible.

Fast Track to Permanent Residence: Express Entry

Express Entry is a popular way to move to Canada because it’s easy to understand and fast. It’s perfect for people with skills who want to live in Canada forever. It includes three programs for economic immigration.

    • Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program: If you’ve worked a lot in another country or have a good education, this is for you.
    • Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP): If you’re skilled in a trade and have a job waiting in Canada or a special Canadian certification, check this out.
    • Canadian Experience Class (CEC): This might be your ticket if you’ve worked in Canada for at least a year.

The Express Entry program works like a big score game. When you make a profile, you get points for things like how old you are, your education, how well you speak English or French, your job experience, and a few other details. You get extra points if you’ve worked in Canada, attended school here, or got a special nod from a province. Then, everyone’s scores are lined up, and every so often, the people with the highest scores get an invite to apply for permanent residence (PR).

Provincial Keys to Canadian PR: The PNP Route

Provincial Nominee Programs are for people who:

    • – You need the right skills, education, and work experience to help a specific place in Canada grow.
    • – You plan to make that place your permanent home.
    • – You’re looking to become a permanent resident of Canada.

Every province and territory in Canada, except for Quebec and Nunavut, has special immigration programs. These programs are for recent graduates, businesspeople, skilled workers in certain jobs, or even those with less advanced skills. Each place has its own rules and needs for who can come and live there. When a province or territory picks you, you get a provincial nomination. This is a big deal because adding it to your application for permanent residence boosts your chances of getting invited to apply to stay in Canada permanently. If you’re using the Express Entry way through your province’s program, having a provincial nomination adds 600 points to your score, which is a huge help.

Family Sponsorship

Family sponsorship provides a route for spouses, partners, children, parents, and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents to live, work and study in Canada as PRs. Essentially, your Canadian relative signs a sponsorship agreement and undertaking to agree to provide you with financial support for a given period until you comfortably settle in Canada.

Business or Investment-related Immigration

The Start-up Visa program could be perfect if you want to start a new business or buy one already running in Canada. It’s designed for entrepreneurs who can create unique and different companies to create jobs for Canadians and do well worldwide.

To be eligible for the start-up Visa program, you must:

    • Own a business that meets the program’s rules;
    • Get a support letter from an approved group;
    • Be able to speak English or French well enough; and
    • Have enough money to get settled in Canada.


Moving from Hong Kong to Canada permanently offers many new opportunities and adventures. It’s important to ensure you meet all the requirements, like securing the right visa, finding support, mastering the language, and having enough savings. Once you’re prepared, you’ll be on your way to starting a fresh chapter in Canada. While it may require effort and patience, immigrating to Canada, especially for those moving from Hong Kong under the Canada immigration Hong Kong programs, can be incredibly rewarding.

Recommended for you :

Guide To Living in Victoria BC

Living in Victoria BC

Know The Places To Stay in Montreal

Places To Stay in Montreal

All About Living in Barrie

Living in Barrie

Explore The Places To Live in Alberta

Places To Live in Alberta

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can Hong Kong people work in Canada?

Yes, Hong Kong residents can work in Canada if they obtain the necessary work permit.

Is it easy to go to Canada from Hong Kong?

It's not easy due to the paperwork and requirements, but with proper preparation, it's achievable.

Is Hong Kong an open work permit for Canada?

No, Hong Kong itself is not an open work permit for Canada. Still, Hong Kong residents may be eligible for certain open work permit programs under specific conditions set by Canadian immigration policies.

Where do most Hong Kongers immigrate to?

Most Hong Kong residents immigrate to Canada, Australia, the UK, and the United States.